Brief History of Lincoln University
Lincoln University in Missouri was first established in 1866 by the 62nd and 65th US Colored Infantries as Lincoln Institute, a school to teach literacy skills to freed slaves. The purpose was to provide children and Black veterans a means of continuing their education during a time in which there were few educational opportunities for them. In 1879, Lincoln became a state institution and in 1890 was granted Land Grant status via the Second Morrill Act. In 1954, the Brown vs Board of Education Supreme Court struck down separate public schools for Black and White students.
Lincoln University has been continuously accredited since 1934 by the North Central Association which is currently known as the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association.